When it comes to oral cancer, early detection is your best protection.
Each day there are 100 cases of oral cancer diagnosed in the United States so it's imperative that you get a cancer screening to ensure something isn’t going undetected. When this form of cancer goes undetected, it can often spread to other parts of your body.
Common Contributors to Oral Cancer
1. Smoking and Drinking: Most cases of oral cancer are linked to cigarette smoking or heavy alcohol use. Using tobacco plus alcohol poses a much greater risk than using either substance alone.
2. STIs: The sexually transmitted papillomavirus infection (specifically the HPV 16 type) has been linked to a subset of oral cancers at any age.
3. Getting Older: Oral cancer most often occurs in people over the age of 40, and risk can increase with age.
4. Sun Exposure: Cancer of the lip can be caused by sun exposure.
5. Poor Diet: A diet low in fruits and vegetables may play a role in oral cancer development.
Our office routinely screens patients for oral cancer during checkups and only take a few minutes, so call today or ask about getting a screening while you’re in the office. The doctors and staff will look for white patches, mouth sores, tenderness, tissue color changes, and any other concerning changes.
Call (601) 825-4746 today or schedule your appointment.