Schedule An Oral Cancer Screening
When it comes to oral cancer, early detection is your best protection.
Oral cancer claims over 8,000 American lives each year, so it is imperative that you get a cancer screening to ensure anything isn’t going undetected. Each day there are 100 cases of new oral cancer diagnosed in the United States. When this form of cancer often goes undetected, it spreads to other parts of your body.
Common Contributors to Oral Cancer
- Smoking and Drinking: Most cases of oral cancer are linked to cigarette smoking, heavy alcohol use, or the use of both tobacco and alcohol together. Using tobacco plus alcohol poses a much greater risk than using either substance alone.
- STIs: Infection with the sexually transmitted human papillomavirus (specifically the HPV 16 type) has been linked to a subset of oral cancers at any age.
- Getting Older: Risk increases with age. Oral cancer most often occurs in people over the age of 40.
- Sun Exposure: Cancer of the lip can be caused by sun exposure.
- Poor Diet: A diet low in fruits and vegetables may play a role in oral cancer development.
Make An Appointment
Our office routinely screens patients for oral cancer during checkups, so call today or ask about getting a screening while you’re in the office. The doctors and staff will look for white patches, mouth sores, tenderness, tissue color changes, and any other concerning changes. Oral cancer screenings should only take a few minutes at Germany Dental! Call (601) 825-4746 today or schedule your appointment.